• Home
  • Buyers
  • Veterans Benefits from the State of Texas

Property Tax Exemption:

Total property tax exemption for 100-percent disabled veterans and their surviving spouses.
Veterans with 10-90 percent VA disability may be eligible for a reduction of their home‘s assessed value from $5,000 - $12,000, this depends on the Veteran’s disability percentage/rating. Surviving spouses of Veterans may also qualify. You will need a letter from the Department of Veteran Affairs (DVA) showing your disability rating and entitlement awarded to you. You can contact the DVA directly at 800-827-1000 to get this letter.

Disabled Veterans License Plates and Parking Placards:

Veterans may apply for disabled veteran license plates for their vehicle and/or motorcycle if they have a 50-percent or higher service-related disability, or at least a 40-percent rating due to amputation of a lower extremity. An annual $3 fee is collected for the first set of plates and a second set of plates can be obtained by paying the regular registration fee and any other applicable fees. Persons entitled to license plates for disabled veterans may also elect to receive a standard license plate at the same cost instead of the disabled veteran plates. Veterans will need a letter from the Department of Veteran Affairs showing their current disability rating.

Parking Privileges for Certain Veterans:

When a vehicle with disabled veteran plates is being operated by or for the disabled veteran, the disabled veteran may use any parking space designated for handicap vehicles.  Vehicles with disabled veteran plates and those displaying the Air Force Cross, the Distinguished Service Cross, the Army Distinguished Service Cross, the Navy Cross, Purple Heart, Prisoner of War or Congressional Medal of Honor license plates may park free of charge at a parking meter operated by a governmental authority  other than the federal government.

Specialty License Plates:

Disabled Veteran, Former Prisoner of War, Pearl Harbor Survivor, Purple Heart and Medal of Honor plates are among the special license plates available for personal use on an automobile or light commercial vehicle of on ton or less. Disabled veterans must have a service-connected disability rating of 50 percent or more, or at least 40 percent due to amputation of a lower extremity. Former prisoners of war are eligible if they were captured or incarcerated by an enemy of the United States during a period of conflict and were U.S. citizens at the time of capture. In order to qualify you will need a letter from the Department of Veterans Affairs which can be obtained by calling 800-827-1000 and your military discharge/DD214. A fee schedule and applications can be found here.

Free Drivers License for Disabled Veterans:

Veterans with a service-connected disability of at least 60-percent and an honorable discharge can get a Texas driver license or ID card for free. Proof of the veteran’s disability rating must accompany the application which can be obtained by contacting the Department of Veterans Affairs at 800-827-1000.

Visit the all new Texas Veterans Portal Here.

*Disclaimer, the info presented here is subject to change, always call the State of Texas and/or Department of Veterans Affairs for the latest info.